Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bad form from "The Nature Conservancy"

Ivory-billed Woodpecker - The Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been Found in the Big Woods of Arkansas - Ivory-billed bird

I believe "The Nature Conservancy" is generally a good organization which does useful work protecting and extending habitats of endangered species. With that said, I am a little angry at the bundle of crap they sent me to try and get me to donate to them recently. The reason I'm not happy is that they've gotten way ahead of themselves on an issue and are potentially greatly misleading the public (aka "me). The subject of the packet was "Found!" and they featured all sorts of materials related to the claimed recent sightings of the "Ivory-billed woodpecker." Now I've seen enough on this issue on tv and in the science periodicals to know that there is still debate over whether the bird featured in the only known video so far is actually an Ivory-billed woodpecker. Experts from various universities do not agree that that video constitutes irrefutable proof. You wouldn't be able to find this out from visiting "The Nature Conservancy" website though. Every video they have has experts using the words "irrefutable" and "undeniable".

Here is what I know: you have a bunch of ornithologists who really want the Ivory-billed woodpecker to be alive and you have a habitat where there exists a bird which looks almost identical, albeit smaller (the Pileated Woodpecker). Until you get a clear photo or close video of an actual Ivory-billed woodpecker, you do not have the right to ping me, asking me for money, and trumpeting your horn about the bird being "found."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home