Thursday, March 16, 2006

A life less cluttered: Step #1 - Get pissed off

This morning, prior to coming to work, I looked at the stack of mail that came to me yesterday. The most annoying one I could find, and the one I decided to try and eliminate first, was one of those newspaper type fliers addressed to "resident." I thought I remembered reading that you could remove yourself from any mailing list where the sender did not have your name associated with the address so I A9'd "get rid of mail marked resident" and found a great website that I thought would help me (http://www.ecofuture.org/jmusps.html).

Unfortunately, it appears that the mail in question is called a saturation mailing and there is no way for the Post Office to remove you from such a list. Argh! You've got to be kidding me!

"[...]the Post Office helps bulk mailers send mail to every address in an area (with addresses only - no names - on the mailings). The bulk mailer has to build up a list containing at least 90% of the addresses in a carrier-route. The Post Office will then supply the remaining 10% for a small fee so that the bulk mailer will reach everyone on the route."

I did, however, just find a site that gives sort of an ambiguous promise to help stop even these types of mailings. It's called Private Citizen, Inc.. I just joined. We'll see if those blasted mailers stop coming.

Day 1 of a life less cluttered and the first hurdle has been presented. I hope it starts to go better from here. We shall see what we shall see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home