Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A life less cluttered

I am contemplating a potential life experiment (aka "lifehack") to cut down on the clutter and be generally nicer to the environment. Here is the issue: as an avid reader, I consume my fair share of paper-product. I'm a self-confessed media whore, buried under weekly and monthly magazine subscriptions, crap mail, and books on my "to-read" shelf.

So this is the idea: Cancel every magazine subscription which is available digitally. Heavily favor digital subscriptions on an ongoing basis. Look for books digitally before purchasing them physically. Wherever possible, purchase my music and video content online. Ideally, I would add no new physical media to my life and only work with digital media. Since that's not a 100% reality right now, I'll instead have to track just what I'm cutting and where. I would also have to chronicle the pain-points of the transition and oproblems with existing technologies.

"But Eric," you may ask, "how are you, a noted book lover and mag freak, intending to read all of this printed material? On a computer screen? Screen's suck for reading." I would reply with "you're right, but it's changing." I saw the book future at CES in Vegas this year. Sony's new reader, available this spring, features a new technology they are referring to as e-ink. It's the first reader with something approaching the contrast ratio and portability of books. It's pretty amazing to see in person. There is no flicker because the images are static and the battery life is reasonable. The features don't stop there, imagine being able to carry a whole shelf-worth of books an device which weighs less than a pound, keeps your place in all your books, allows you to make notes, etc. I think it's a pretty amazing step.

At this point in my life, I've already switched over heavily to downloadable music so I'll probably just continue that trend. In fact, I look at my racks of cds and loathe getting them all input into my computer. It just feels like a huge project and would overwhelm my pooor 250 GB hard drive. DVD? Well, I've been downloading my first videos recently and we're not quite there with that technology yet. It's going to be a few years, but I'm going to try and stop purchasing them and instead focus on building out a really nice media server system in my house. What can I say? It's all part of the project. We'll see if I can get it started.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is it a worthwhile endeavor? Are we at the point where I can try this without getting horrible pissed off? Am I going to pay bazillion dollars to get a worthwhile home media archive solution in place?

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger mmaurer said...

I've been struggling with the same question. I thought I received about 3 magazine subscriptions because that's how many I read. However, I made a list of all the things coming into the house with just my name on them, and it was about 10, plus a couple of digital-only subscriptions. Never mind the blogs and news sources I read each day. I suspect most people will increasingly face the same problem. I took a copy of Getting Things Done from the library. I haven't gotten through it yet (surprise!) but it looks like it has a really excellent system for organizing and staying on top of the tide of inputs we all face. I'll let you know how it works for me.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Derek said...

You have a 250 MB hard drive? Impressive :)

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Wow maurer, how does it feel to not finish a book called "Getting Things Done?"

Har-dee-har-har...

And nice catch Derek, I'll have to update that post to read 250 GB. Yikes!

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have all my bills, etc. delivered electronically only.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home